Saturday, July 7, 2012

Facebook's Greatest Hits: These Are A Few of My Favorite Friends


                       Photo by Melissa Rose 
My husband, the poet anthropologist, recently reminded me of a time, fifteen years ago, when we were living in Santa Barbara, California. It was one of the hottest nights of the year and we were in our little apartment, lying on our bed, sweltering and sleepless. At some point in the night, the wind turned and the breeze started to blow in from the Pacific. Sean heard the wind’s shift and imagined the cool, salty air, like water, filling up the parking lot outside our bedroom window. Finally, the breeze spilled over the sill and flowed across us. We sighed, turned to each other, and smiled. This is how he remembers our lives together, in beautiful moments. Peruse his Facebook wall, and you’ll see something similar – our lives, in beautiful frozen moments.

My twenty-year-old niece had a scream as a baby that, in my experience, stands unrivaled. Her baby cries were mere foreshadowing, though, because she’s continued throughout her life to possess a personality that fills up whatever room she occupies. She’s passionate and unfiltered, talented and beautiful. Each morning, I’m greeted with photos and captions she posts on Facebook that are alternately heartrending and breathtaking, just like her.

I have a friend that I’ve known since we attended junior high school together. His gift, even then, was the ability to connect with other people – to make friends. Today, he has 998 Facebook friends, and he informs me that he recently cut back to only those he “knows and interacts with.” He’s not a corporate CEO, or a celebrity, or a TV personality. He’s just a 40-something guy who makes great coffee…with 998 Facebook friends, at last count.

Most of my friends would probably say my greatest strength and my greatest weakness is that I think, and I overthink. Here I am, a few weeks into belatedly joining Facebook, and can I just enjoy reconnecting with friends? No, I have to write a multi-part series about it.

All of this would seem to confirm recent research that I mentioned in previous posts. We tend to get out of Facebook what we bring to it. Ironically, statistics are showing that what many people bring to social networking is a growing sense of disconnectedness. These studies further suggest that for the lonely, involvement in social media only leaves them feeling lonelier. I’ve posed the question, can we who are called to bring light and hope to this world, change this game? What would Jesus do? How does He “befriend?”

Volumes have been written about Jesus’ time on the planet, and I’m not about to compete with them. I’ve chosen four simple examples that I think are typical of how Jesus operated with those He called friends. I like these four because of how obviously they exemplify that old saying, “All truth is God’s truth.” Yep, following Jesus’ example is startlingly consistent with what recent research suggests is a healthier approach to social networking. I’ll talk more about the research in future posts, but before that, what did Jesus do?

First, Jesus saw beyond the image that people tried to project. Rather than tearing them down or simply calling them out, He encouraged them in their real heart’s desire – to be the best version of themselves – to be the person God created them to be, in Christ.

Jesus spent the majority of His time with His closest friends, serving them, teaching them, listening to them, and encouraging them. Sure, Jesus had thousands of followers, and hundreds of disciples. However, the Bible gives the impression that He saved the best of himself for just twelve guys – one of whom, He knew, would ultimately betray Him.

As everyone knows even if they’ve never picked up a Bible, Jesus enjoyed a good meal with friends. He hung out with people and shared their lives. Sometimes it was dramatic – probably with Jesus, it was never boring. But most of the time, it was just life together.

Finally, Jesus spent time alone. He had hundreds of needy people, nearly 24-hours-a-day, clamoring for His attention and care. You think He wasn’t tempted to spend every moment with them – to meet every felt need? The Bible says He was tempted with everything we are, yet He still regularly went off on his own to pray, rest, and recharge. If He could do it, we can, too.

In my next four posts, I’ll think about how applying each of these examples to our social networking might help us all be better Facebook friends, and I’ll issue a weekly challenge. Get ready – this is where it gets real.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, was just talking about Santa Barbara today with Nicole Hendrickson. The cool breezes and no need for air conditioning sounded real good at the time as we were burning up in the central valley heat - triple digits! Good thing we were sitting by a pool and could jump in!! Hope to get to Santa Barbara soon and enjoy that feeling of the ocean breeze wafting over my face and body.

    Getting real, being real, and keeping it real! Yup, I think that is what Jesus was trying to tell his disciples when he spoke to them on the Sermon on the Mount. A sermon not meant for any ordinary citizen, but for those who were truly following him and wanted to be real, not like the hypocritic pharisees. In Matthew chpt. 6 Jesus exhorted his disciples to be real about their giving, praying, fasting, and most importantly their relationship with Him. Over and over again He said not to do as the pharisees, but rather let it come from the heart. Don't do it for show or glory for that will be your reward he said. Meaning no reward in heaven cuz you got it on earth. I love how He wove the simple yet deep prayer, the Our Father, into the sermon. Then he spend the last several verses telling the disciples not to worry about anything in life. Rather he said, put "me" first (seek the kingdom and his righteousness)and I "Jesus" will take care of all your needs.

    So, what would Jesus do with Facebook, how would he befriend? It's kinda' like asking Ansel Adams if he would use digital? Well, he probably would, if the intent (content, composition and real image) was still preserved. I asked my son, Andrew, about how Jesus would befriend on facebook. His response was, "befriend sounds like you are not being friends with someone." The word to him does not sound friendly. Interesting response and perception.

    Facebook and all the other social networking tools out there are the products of man's technological advancements in our society. They can be used for good or evil. As children of God we are to be responsible with the freedom that comes in a society where we can use various media outlets other than paper/written word form,i.e, tv, internet, phone, radio, etc. We are accountable for every word, whether spoken or written. We need to ask ourselves, "why am I doing this?" What is the motive? Am I being real, or am I being a pharisee? Am I being the person God wants me to be, or am I going thru the motions? Of course we are not perfect, yet! We make mistakes and sometimes we fall to temptation, but Jesus wants us to ask him to deliver us from evil and lead us "not" into temptation. He wants us to keep it real with Him. When we do that, then we keep it real with others.

    One of the things I love most about you Lisa is that you are the real deal. You think deeply, love deeply, and give unselfishly.There is nothing fake about you. And above all you want to please the Lord.

    Hoping to read your older posts now that I am back home and getting my bearings.

    Keep on keeping it real sis, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do we get to see the Facebook Challenges? I can't wait to see them and they have not yet made much of an appearance. (Just like the stuff my teachers used to mention in my History of the Mystic Arts textbooks) -The Old Wizard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're interested in seeing those challenges Old Wizard...the first one will be next week, I promise!

      Delete
  3. I don't think Jesus could use Facebook at all. The profile pic would make your monitor explode.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note. Comments are moderated and posted within 24 hours of submission. Thanks!